Today i.e September 6, 2014, festival of Onam will begin. Onam is a 10-day jollification of Kerala culture. Beautiful Pookalams, electrifying boat races, mouth watering Onam Sadhya; this ten-day mega-fiesta is known world-wide for its unique celebration.
Onam is celebrated mainly by the people of Kerala. Though it is a regional festival, yet its glory is spread across all over India. According to the lunar calendar, Onam is celebrated in Chingam month.
Onam 2014: Panchanga
- Today, the time of sunrise is 06:01 IST and sunset is at 18:37 IST.
- The Tithi (Hindu day) is Dwadashi (the twelfth day) - 18:06 IST, Bhadrapada month, Shukla Paksha (bright half).
- Rahukaal is beginning at 06:04 IST and ending at 07:38 IST.
- Abhijeet Muhurat is from 11:53 IST to 12:43 IST.
- Amrit Kaal is from 06:15 IST to 07:42 IST
On this day, the home is decorated with flowers. Women enjoy the day dancing and singing; whereas, men participate in boat-racing and swimming. Onam is the festival of rice harvesting.
It is believed that King Mahabali comes to earth from Patala Loka to visit his kingdom and shower blessings on them. Let’s come to know the story related to Onam.
Onam 2014: Rituals & Activities
The festival of Onam is celebrated for continuous 10 days, which includes several types of activities. Ladies decorate their homes with beautiful Rangolis using colorful flowers and men participate in activities like swimming and boat-racing. People of Kerala celebrate the festival of Onam with great zeal and enthusiasm. The 10 days of Onam festival are:
- Atham: On this day, a grand Poo Kolam (Flower Rangoli) is made, as it is believed that King Mahabali visit the earth on this day from Patala Loka (Netherworld) on Onam festival. On this day, Atham or Hasta Nakshatra (constellation) prevails.
- Chithira: On the second day of Onam, all the old things are discarded and efforts are made to make everything look new and beautiful. On this day, Chitthira Nakshatra prevails.
- Chodhi: This day has its importance for women, as they shop for new attires and ornaments to look their best on Onam. The Nakshatra (constellation) prevailing on this day is Swati (Chodi).
- Visakam: All the activities and competitions starts on this day; especially, the Poo Kolam competition. The boat race and Poo Kolam competitions are the highlights of this day. The Nakshatra that prevails on this day is Visakam.
- Anizham: On this day, the rehearsals for the famous boat race starts to its peak. The Onam boat race called Vallamkali is a very popular event and is a major tourist attraction. On this day, Anizham (Anuradha) Nakshatra prevails.
- Thriketta: The sixth day of the Onam is dedicated to the Onam celebrations. People who are working away from home, head towards the home to celebrate the grand festival of Onam with family members and friends. On this day, Thriketta (Jyeshta) Nakshatra prevails.
- Moolam: It is the day when the temples of Kerala arrange a grand feast called Onam Sadhya. Many dance forms like Pulikali, a masked leopard dance, and Kaikotti Kali takes place on this day. On this day, Moolam (Moola) Nakshatra prevails.
- Purdam: On this day, the excitement of Onam celebration reaches its height. The mud idols of Lord Vaaman and King Mahabali are made and the designs of Poo Kolam reaches its complexity. On this day, Pooradam Nakshatra prevails.
- Uthradam: A large carpet made of flowers is laid out on this day to welcome their King Mahabali. The events and fairs reaches on its peak. On this day, Uthradam (Uttara Ashada) Nakshatra prevails.
- Thiruvonam: It is the day of ultimate celebration. All the events like folk dance, boat race, Kathakali performance, Poo Kolam competitions, and Onasadhya takes place on this day. After that, people of Kerala bid a goodbye to their beloved King Mahabali.
Vallamkali: The Famous Boat Race
This event is a favorite not only among the local people of Kerala, but also the tourists. The boats that participate in this boat race competition has some special characteristics. It is about 100 feet in length with a seating capacity of 140-150 people. It has the shape of a Cobra. A lot of effort and dedication is needed to make this boat, so the boat has sentimental value among the fishermen. It is an event that one should not miss.
Onasadhya: A Grand Meal For The King
This is the meal one cannot miss. It is a nine course meal that leaves a great taste to the tastebuds. Kerala people are so fond of this meal that they can sell their everything just for one Onasadhya meal. Traditionally, an Onam Sadhya meal is served on a banana leaf. The meal includes about 60 varieties of food items and about 20 varieties of dessert, which is the most popular among tourists.
Pookalam: The Floral Carpet
Pookalam is a floral carpet made of different varieties of flowers with different colors. It is the work of art that needs an artistic touch. The courtyards of every house are decorated with beautiful and colorful Rangolis that are very attractive. People start making Pookalam on the Atham day and continues till the last day. The circular shape of this Pookalam depicts the different culture and social aspect of the Kerala life.
If you want to know more about Onam, the legend behind it, please click here: Onam 2014
We hope that you will be able to know the significance of this day through this article. Celebrate this festival with great zeal.
Event Of The Day!
Today is Shravan Dwadashi. Worship the Vaaman incarnation of Lord Vishnu and get all your wishes fulfilled.
Bhuvaneshwari Jayanti will be celebrated today. Ward off your sins and obtain financial prosperity by worshipping Devi Bhuvaneshwari.
Today is Shani Pradosh Vrat. Observe this fast to remove the evil eye of Saturn from you.
Have a nice day!