Today, i.e on April 15, total lunar eclipse or Khagras Chandra Grahan will be observed in Chitra Nakshatra. Read on to know about Sutak & Chandra Grahan timings, effects and remedies for protecting yourself during Khagras Chandra Grahan.
As per astronomy, there are three types of Chandra Grahan or lunar eclipses. These three types of Chandra Grahan are:
- Partial lunar eclipse or Khandgras: Where the portion of Moon is covered by earth’s umbral shadow.
- Total lunar eclipse or Khagras: Where Moon is completely covered by earth’s umbral shadow.
- Penumbral lunar eclipse: Occurs when Moon passes earth, it is hard to observe and is only for academic purpose.
This year, i.e. in 2014, two lunar eclipses or Chandra Grahan will take place.
Let’s find out the dates and place where Chandra Grahan or lunar eclipse will be witnessed.
2014 Chandra Grahan Or Lunar Eclipse: Date & Effects
Visibility In India
Effects In India
April 15, 2014
North & South America, Antarctica, West Africa & West Europe, Asia and Australia. Ending lunar eclipse will be visible in Russia and the east of Australia
11:27 pm to 03:03 am (16th of April, 2014)
October 8, 2014
Northeast & the mid areas of India, North America, Pacific Area, Eastern Asia and Australia. Ending lunar eclipse will be visible in all over India except West
2:45 pm, will be in mid at 4:25 pm and end at 6:05 pm
The eclipse would have no effects in India. This Khandgras or Khagras Chandra Grahan would be visible in other parts of the globe.
Let’s find out the timings of this Khagras or total lunar eclipse:
- First Contact with the Penumbra - 10:23:36
- First Contact with the Umbra - 11:28:19
- Total Phase Begins - 12:36:47
- Maximum of lunar eclipse - 13:15:40
- Total Phase Ends - 13:54:34
- Last Contact with the Umbra - 15:03:04
- Last Contact with the Penumbra - 16:07:37
- Duration of Total Phase - 01 Hour 17 Mins 47 Secs
- Duration of Partial Phase - 03 Hours 34 Mins 45 Secs
- Duration of Penumbral Phase - 05 Hours 44 Mins 00 Secs
Hence, the total duration of the eclipse is now known to us. Do we know what is the relationship between Sutak and Chandra Grahan, but before knowing about the relationship. Let’s first find out about Sutak.
What Is Sutak?
As per astrology, the time before Chandra Grahan or lunar eclipse is also not favorable and known as “Sutak” or Ashoush. During the time of Sutak, one should avoid eating and drinking. Sutak is usually observed 9 hours before the Chandra Grahan.
Let’s find out what are the things one needs to avoid during the Khagras Chandra Grahan occurring on April 15, 2014.
Things To Avoid During Khagras Grahan Sutak
There are some things, to keep in mind this Chandra Grahan Sutak in the year 2014:
- Avoid use of any cosmetics.
- Pregnant ladies should avoid eating and should stay inside the house, as it might affect the child’s health.
- Avoid eating and drinking (exception exists for old, sick and children below 2 years).
- No stored item should be consumed after the Chandra Grahan or during the time of Sutak.
Measures To Be Taken During Khagras Grahan Sutak
These are some of the simple measures one can take during the time of Khagras lunar eclipse on 15th April, 2014 and Sutak.
- Meditation during this time can be of great help.
- Chanting Of Mantras can be done during the time of Sutak.
- Sparkle the holy water (Amrit) of the river Ganga, which could purify the house from all the negative energies.
- Post the Khagras Chandra Grahan, people should take bath, as it is considered to be the sign of purification.
Though Chandra Grahan has its own effects on one’s life. We hope that this article will help you in treating Khagras or total lunar eclipse in 2014 with a more cautious attitude.