Surya Grahan (Solar Eclipse) is occurring today i.e. on March 20, 2015. An eclipse is not an easy event; it brings some heavy changes to us. The changes are usually considered bad. Know some simple remedies in this article to prevent those adverse effects.
Surya Grahan is occurring today i.e. on March 20, 2015. It is a natural phenomenon that occurs when Moon comes in between the Sun and the earth. This blocks the light of the Sun partially or completely.
हिंदी में पढ़ने के लिए यहाँ क्लिक करें
Before knowing further about Surya Grahan, let's first take a look on its timings and areas of visibility.
Timings & Areas Of Visibility
|Date||Type Of Eclipse/ Grahan||Visible in India||Areas Of Visibility||Time (IST)|
|March 20, 2015||Purna Surya Grahan (Total solar eclipse)||No||Svalbard and Faroe Islands, Iceland, Europe, Northern and Eastern Asia, and Northern and Western Africa||11:10 - 01:15|
Mythological legend of Grahan or eclipse is related to the time of Samudra Manthan (churning of oceans). Lord Vishnu tricked the demons and started distributing elixir (the divine drink - Amrit) among the gods. A demon understood his trick and quietly sat between the gods.
Lord Sun and Moon recognised him and informed Lord Vishnu about the same. The lord immediately cut the demon into two halves. Since then, the upper part or head of the demon is known as Rahu and the lower part or his body is known as Ketu. It is believed that Rahu and Ketu come periodically to punish the Sun and the Moon.
Click here to read every aspect of Surya Grahan in 2015: Surya Grahan 2015
What Is Sutak?
Sutak is a certain duration before the occurrence of Grahan. It is believed that the atmosphere starts getting contaminated with harmful substances in this duration. Sutak has its effects in those areas only where Grahan or eclipse is visible.
Surya Grahan (Solar eclipse) and Sutak are considered extremely sensitive times, so it is important to follow certain precautions. Some of these safety measures are:
- One should not eat anything (exception for sick, old and infant).
- No cosmetic should be used.
- One should not touch the idols of gods or enter into the temple.
- Pregnant ladies should stay indoors.
- One should perform Yoga and meditation for minimising Grahan effects.
- Chant the Mantra: ‘’Om Adityay Vidmahe Divakaraye Dheemahi Tanno Suryah Prachodayat’’ (ॐ आदित्याय विद्महे दिवाकराय धीमहि तन्नो सूर्य: प्रचोदयात्॥)
- Ganga water should be sprinkled in the entire house after Grahan.
- Take bath after Grahan, as it is considered to be the sign of purification.
- Only freshly cooked food should be consumed after Grahan.
Pregnant ladies need to take extra care for protecting themselves and their child from harmful effects of Grahan. Click here to read in detail: Eclipse & Pregnant Women
These precautions will help in observing a happy and safe Grahan in 2015.
To know all about Surya Grahan as well as Chandra Grahan in 2015, click here: Grahan 2015
AstroSage wishes you a safe Surya Grahan 2015!