Sawan is beginning today and will end on August 18, which is the day of Raksha Bandhan. Known as the month of Shiva, we all are aware of the benefits of the holy rituals performed in this month. But, there are certain things that if you do may bring the wrath of Shiva. So, let’s know the things to be avoided…
As Sawan occurs during the period of Chaturmas, Lord Shiva takes the charge while Vishnu is asleep. It is the time when Shiva can fulfill all your desires; for he holds the power of the trinity. Hence, making him upset may also be quite problematic. The required prohibitions are given below, check them out.
9 Things To Avoid In Sawan
- Don’t fight with your spouse. But, if it happens, worship Shiva-Parvati to get the things pacified.
- Avoid Tamasik things. As Shiva also holds the responsibilities of Vishnu in this duration, avoiding things like alcohol, meat, etc. will be good. It increases the control over desires and emotions.
- Avoid milk consumption. Month of Sawan is not considered good for the consumption of milk because it may disturb the Vata Dosha in body. That is why Shivalinga is showered with milk in this duration.
- Avoid having brinjal. Yes, brinjal is considered impure in this season. That is why some people avoid it during Dwadashi Tithis, Chaturdashi Tithis, and Kartik month as well.
- Don’t miss the early morning bathing ritual of Shivalinga. It is believed to be making the individual rid of the sins made in past. So, wake up early every day, give Shiva a holy bath, and worship him.
- Don’t hurt any Shiva devotee. It is the month of Shiva; service to His devotees equals the service to Shiva. Try to help them and don’t hurt them at all.
- Avoid green leafy vegetables. It is considered unhealthy to consume green leafy vegetables during Sawan.
- Feed bulls, don’t hurt them. If you see a stray bull in this month, feed them rather than pushing them away because they are considered as Nandi, the carrier of Shiva.
- Don’t hurt anyone with your words and respect elders.
Further, we thought that you would like to know the dates of Sawan Somwars (the holy Mondays of Sawan) to keep fast and receive the blessings of Shiva:
- July 25, 2016
- August 1, 2016
- August 8, 2016
- August 15, 2016
The dates given here are as per the North Indian Hindu calendar. If you wish to know in detail about Sawan for all parts of India, click here: Sawan 2016
On this first day of Sawan, Mercury is rising in Cancer. We hope that this piece of information will be helpful to you in making this month a fruitful one.
Have a good time in Sawan!