Bhai Dooj, signifies a perpetual bond, between a brother & a sister, combined with the subtle teasing and taunting. Today, on November 1, we celebrate this ceaseless bond by celebrating Bhai Dooj, which is also a synonym for Raksha bandhan, in the sense that they honour this expressive connection which the siblings seem to have. If you want to know the Bhai Dooj Puja Muhurat for 2016 & the proper procedure to perform the pooja, think no more & just read along!
Tilak Muhurat: 13:10:48 to 15:23:15
Note: The above mentioned timings are for New Delhi, To know about the Tilak Muhurat in your city, Bhai Dooj Tilak Muhurat
Also known as Yama Dwitiya, it is celebrated on the second day of the Kartik month’s bright fortnight. According to the legend, Yamuna proffered food to Yama(her brother) on this very day. Seeing the Affection & the heartiness shown by Yamuna, Yama Blessed her sister & said that anyone who bathes in Yamuna today and sees the Moon before sunrise, would not be taken to the Yama Lok. This is how we started celebrating Yama Dwitiya; as mentioned in Skanda Purana - If a sister feeds her brother with her own hands, it increases the life expectancy of her brother, alleviating him of all his worries and miseries. Let us now find out, how can we perform and celebrate Bhai Dooj.
If you want to read in detail about this divine festival of brothers and sisters, click here: Bhai Dooj 2016
Bhai Dooj: Procedure of Applying Tilak
- Wake up before sunrise, to see the Moon.
- After the daily morning routine, take a bath and ask your brother for the same. (Some people believe that the brother & the sister should apply oil all over their body, before bathing in the river.)
- Now, at the right Muhurat, take a plate to keep all the material to be worshipped and put vermillion, sandal, rice (raw, unbroken), and sweets in it.
- Apply rice paste on the hands of your brother and then put some vermillion over it.
- Place a betel leaf over his painted hands.
- Sprinkle a little water over the hands slowly for 5 times.
- Apply the Tilak (mark) on the forehead with vermilion and rice.
- Perform the Aarti of your brother and feed him with sweets.
- Along with Bhai Dooj, this day is also celebrated as Chitragupta Puja.
We hope that this blog was pretty enlightening, as it was donnish & that you make the most of this information. We wish you a very Happy Bhai Dooj & a blissful Chitragupta Puja.
Have an absolutely stupendous day !!!!!!!!!